* Currency – the timeliness of the information
* Relevance – the importance of the information for your needs
* Authority – the source of the information
* Accuracy – the reliability, truthfulness and correctness of the content
* Purpose/Point of View – the reason the information exists
A Note on Website Domains
You can restrict your search in Google by typing in the form “site:.edu” (or whatever domain you specifically want to search).
What is the site’s domain? A domain is used to identify an IP address. Here are a few common ones. While the type of domain is not a guarantee of reliable information, generally speaking, a site from .gov or .edu or .org domains are more reliable than those from .coms.
.edu — educational institutions
.org — organizations, usually non-profit
.com — commercial businesses, including companies that host personal websites and blogs
.net — network organizations related to the Internet itself
.mil — military