The primary goal of the school’s library media program is to enrich and support the instructional program of the school. The school library makes available, through the school library collection, a wide range of materials on varying levels of difficulty with a diversity of appeal compatible with different needs, interests, and viewpoints of students and teachers.
To this end, the goals for selection are as follows:
1. To provide school library media that will enrich and support the curriculum, educational goals of the school, and the aims and objectives of specific courses. Learning resources shall strive to be appropriate for the age, emotional development, ability level, learning styles, and social development of the students for whom the materials are selected, taking into consideration individual needs and the varied interests, abilities, socioeconomic backgrounds, and maturity levels of the students served.
2. To provide school library media that will stimulate growth in critical thinking, factual knowledge, literary appreciation, aesthetic values, and ethical standards.
3. To provide background information enabling students to make intelligent choices in their daily lives.
4. To provide materials on opposing sides of controversial issues and representing differing shades of opinion so that students may develop, under guidance, the practice of critical thinking and critical analysis of all media.
5. To provide materials representative of the many religious, ethnic, and cultural groups of our world and the contributions of these groups to our cultural heritage.
6. To provide materials of particular relevance to the unique characteristics of the local community and the cultural diversity of the school community.
7. To provide materials designed to motivate students and staff members to examine their own duties, responsibilities, rights and privileges as participating citizens in our society.
The library's primary function is to provide the Concordia International School Shanghai community with all formats of information to achieve a balanced collection of resources.* Selection of materials will be based on the following considerations:
● Purpose—The overall purpose and its direct relationship to instructional objectives, the curriculum needs of students and teachers (priority), and/or personal and recreational needs of students and faculty
● Reliability—Accuracy, authenticity, authority
● Suitability—Suitability of subject and style for users
● Quality—Literary merit or artistic quality, reputation of the author or originality of the resource, authority of positive review or criticism
● Treatment—Clear, comprehensible, skillful, convincing, well-organized, unbiased, relevant, current
● Availability and price—Availability of materials on the subject, price relative to other comparable materials
● Technical production—Audio and/or visual clear and well-crafted
● Construction—Durable, manageable, attractive
● Special features—Useful illustrations, photographs, maps, charts
● Possible uses—Individual, small group, large group instruction, in-depth study
*Note: A single source need not meet all or even the majority of the criteria in order to be acquired.